Ok, It was bound to happen.
You have been in a car accident.
You felt OK right after the crash, but the next day your back and neck are really sore.
What to do??

Well, first and foremost go see your family doctor and follow their advice.

Whether you caused the accident or not, you are entitled to certain benefits from the insurance company. You need to contact the insurance company and complete a simple form called an application for no-fault benefits. These benefits are called 1st party or PIP (Personal Injury Protection) benefits. If you suffer an injury in a car accident you are eligible for these benefits no matter how the accident happened.

So, what are PIP or first party benefits?
Continue reading

In Michigan, if you are involved in a car accident that was caused by another driver, you are entitled to recover up to $1000 from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. You must contact the insurance company of the driver who caused the accident and ask for the mini tort coverage. You should include photos of your vehicle, estimate of repairs, the police report, and a declaration sheet from your own automobile insurance company.

When you are involved in an accident that was caused by someone else, the at fault driver should your deductible and then your auto insurance will cover the remainder of the damages.

If you have been involved in a car accident, call SMDA law today and we can help you recover the money you are entitled to.

Michigan’s No-Fault Law entitles car accident victims to certain benefits. Among these benefits are “Replacement Services”. These are services that the injured person was able to perform for him/herself prior to the car accident. They typically involve household chores such as cooking, cleaning, taking out the garbage, mowing the law, etc.

If the injured person requires help with these services, the person who is helping is entitled to receive compensation for the services they provide on behalf of the injured victim. Anyone can provide these services, including family members or friends.

The service provider can receive up to $20 per day for three years from the accident date. Typically, the insurance companies require that the service provider document the tasks and chores that are performed. This can be done on monthly calendars that will be provided.

Bicyclist in Michigan are considered vehicles that have the same responsibilities and rights as other motorized vehicles on the road.

If you are a victim of a bicycle accident and were injured as a result of an accident with a car or motor vehicle such as a motorcycle, truck or bus, then you are entitled to certain rights. You are entitled to no-fault benefits such as reimbursement for medical bills, medical mileage, lost wages and for help with household chores. These benefits are paid by your auto insurance company. However, if you do not have auto insurance then you can file with the insurance company of a relative that resides with you or you can collect benefits from Michigan’s Assigned Claims Facility.

You may also file a lawsuit for the pain and suffering you suffered. The at-fault driver’s insurance company will compensate you for the injuries you suffered.

Dog bites are far more common than people may think. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that in the US, 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year.

It is important to always safely interact with dogs to prevent any injuries. However, even if you are cautious and do not provoke a dog, a dog bite may occur. If you are a victim of a dog bite, you are entitled to damages, including medical costs associated with the injury. These damages are usually covered by the homeowner’s insurance.

If you, or someone you know, is a dog bite victim, call SMDA Law. Our attorneys can help you understand your rights and get you the compensation you are entitled to.

Aggressive litigation in no-fault cases is extremely critical to good resolution of claims. How do you find the right firm to take your no-fault case? It is important to find an attorney who not only understands the law but who will take the time to carefully understand your case and aggressively litigate it. Your personal protection benefits are a critical part of your claim. It is a very intricate part of the law. It is important that the firm you hire to protect you, knows how to get the most benefits available to you. Our firm specializes in the payment of no-fault benefits and protecting our clients rights. Our attorneys have decades of experience in helping injured persons obtain their no-fault benefits. We are not like the high volume personal injury firms that you may see on TV. We understand that victims of car accidents can be very vulnerable and most are unsure of their rights. For that reason, we do not treat our clients like just a case number. We spend time and thoroughly prepare for each case to ensure the best results for our clients.

If you are the victim of a car accident, call SMDA law firm in Sterling Heights to see how we can help you.

What happens when you are involved in a car accident and it affects an injury you had prior to the accident?

When a person is involved in a car accident it can cause the victim to suffer new injuries, but sometimes the accident can make a pre-existing injury worse. In other words, it “aggravates the pre-existing injury”. This is a very common situation. Even though there was a prior injury, the victim is still entitled to benefits for the increase of pain and suffering, and expenses related to the aggravation of that injury.

People may think that they are not entitled to benefits unless they sustain new injuries, however, you are entitled compensation for the aggravation of an old injury as well. If you have been involved in a car accident and have sustained new injuries, or if it made an old injury worse, call Serafini, Michalowski, Derkacz & Associates today to learn your rights and let us help you.

It is important to know that if you are a pedestrian and have been hit by an uninsured driver, even if you are not insured, you still can make a claim for no-fault PIP benefits.

The first thing you must do, is look to a relative that is residing in your household and who has a no-fault insurance policy. That insurance policy would be responsible for paying your PIP Benefits. If that is the case, you must contact that insurance company and fill out an application for PIP Benefits.

If you do not live with anyone who has such a policy you can apply to the Michigan Assigned Claims Facility who will assign an insurer to your claim. This is typically the last resort when there is a priority dispute among insurers.

If you are involved in a car accident that was caused by another driver, you are entitled to recover money for the damages. Michigan has a mini tort law in which a victim of a car accident can recover up to $1000 for damage caused to his/her car. This amount is recovered from the automobile insurance company of the driver who caused the accident. You, or your attorney, must contact and make a claim with the at fault driver’s insurance company and request the money. This amount is to cover your deductible, and then your own insurance company should cover for the remaining damage.

If you are involved in an accident caused by another driver, you should not have to pay any money out of your own pocket. Be sure to contact the proper insurance company to receive your money.

When involved in a car accident, you might not be in pain right away. Some people feel the pain and soreness the day after, and if that is the case, you should see your primary care physician and follow their advice.

Also, you will need to contact your auto insurance company and fill out an application for benefits. This will let the insurance company know of the accident and it is a way for your to collect the benefits that you are entitled to. You are entitled to certain benefits (called PIP benefits) from the insurance company, regardless if you are at fault or not. PIP benefits include things such as lifetime medical expenses, wage loss for up to three years, attendant care benefits, and household replacement services.

In addition to these benefits, a third party law suit can also be filed against the at fault driver of the accident. This suit is if you are seeking damages for pain and suffering. The standard that one must prove is to show that there was a serious impairment of a body function as a result of the accident.